The Church of St. Edward the Confessor has celebrated its centennial. The foundations were dug in March, construction started in April and the last roof tile was placed on June 28, 1902. The architect was George H. Jeffery and the builder was Angelo Corsini of Lugano. The first service was held on All Saints Day, November 1, 1902, and. St. Edward's was consecrated on April 14, 1912.
Founding donors included the Queen of Romania. The hotels in Lugano were generous, as were the English and American communities. Early benefactors were Countess Marie Bismark and Mrs. Christopher Benson (her husband was the brother of Edward White Benson who was Archbishop of Canterbury from 1883 to 1896).
Inside the church, of interest is the wrought iron screen which is a copy of one in the chapel of the Palazzo Comunale in Siena. It was made in Siena by Pasquale Franci. The baptismal font, formerly a Holy Water stoup, is from Venice, and is believed to be 12th C. The painting on glass of St. Edward the Confessor attached to the wall at the back of the church is the work of Karen van Leyden.
The Ecumenical Celebration for Christian Unity in Ticino is celebrated each January and has been hosted by St. Edward's in 1993, 1997, 2001, 2004, and 2005. Participating churches: Roman Catholic, Reformed Evangelical Church, Anglican, Russian Orthodox, Romanian Orthodox, Baptist, Christian Catholic and Syrian Orthodox. St. Edward's church has been used for services by the Old Catholics and the Swedish Lutherans.